If you are one of the “essential workers” out there, I would like to personally thank you for your hard work. If you are a “non-essential worker” you’re probably finding yourselves with a little extra time. It’s easy to get sucked into new shows and movies, and I have definitely been guilty of that myself. My biggest advice for those of you at home right now is to create a daily schedule and to-do list. This should include general upkeep to your home and yourself, but it’s also a fantastic opportunity to dedicate some extra time to our musicianship.
Here are five online resources to keep you busy while quarantining:
- Forced Vacation Warm-Ups with Richard Dole. Light-hearted, effective, and funny, this fantastic warm up routine is hosted by one of Indianapolis’ most active freelance musicians every weekday at 10AM. Join the live stream here, and don’t forget to download his free warm-up packet!
- Middle School Trombone Live Session with Chris Van Hof. At 10AM on Saturday, March 28, 2020 Chris Van Hof, Professor of Trombone at Ball State University, will be hosting a warm-up session designed primarily for middle school trombonists. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn from one of the best educators in the business! http://www.vanhofmusic.com/live
- Take 5 Live Stream hosted by Arts for Learning. The next Take 5 live stream will be held on Friday, March 27th! The featured teaching artists will be Meghan Sissom (Dancer) at 11:00am, Giselle Trujillo (Multi-Media Artist) at 11:30am and Theon Lee (Hip-Hop/Spoken Word Artist) at 12:00pm followed by a group performance at 12:30pm! Tune in at Facebook.com/arts4learningin! This program is funded by The Indianapolis Foundation, a Central Indiana Community Foundation affiliate.
- Melanated Moments in Classical Music podcast with Angela Brown and Joshua Thompson. This is a new podcast that shines a spotlight on musical works composed by, for, and about people of color. Melanated Moments is hosted by international opera soprano Angela Brown and music sociologist Joshua Thompson. For some listeners, Melanated Moments will uncover a hidden trove of classical music they never knew existed. For those with a deep knowledge of the genre, stories reflecting the cultural context of the African Diaspora will give a fresh voice to black contributions in the world of classical music. Listen here!
- Jazz Trombone Transcriptions from Tucker Woerner. Head over to my YouTube Channel for access to jazz trombone transcriptions. Play along with the written out transcriptions while the original recording plays!